Freshman Collective Mentoring
The Freshman Collective is an exciting new mentoring program for UCR students who are entering college as a freshman. Students are matched with mentors who are there to offer guidance as students acclimate to life in college. Mentors will assist mentees in navigating the many adjustments that students often face when attending college for the first time.
Find a Mentor
Get support from a continuing UCR student who's been in your shoes and will assist you with the ins and outs of campus, even virtually!
Become a Peer Mentor
Have fun, meet new people, and gain skills in communication, critical thinking, collaboration, and global/intercultural fluency that will serve you in your career.
Areas of support include:
- Accessing campus support services
- The purpose and benefits of utilizing a professor’s office hours
- Finding meaningful social outlets
- How to best manage one’s time
- Maximizing your college experience so that you develop both academically and socially
What do mentors and mentees discuss?
- Meeting new people and making lifelong connections with peers, faculty, and staff
- Getting involved on campus
- Adjusting to university-level academic expectations
- Developing a plan for academic, social, and career success
- Balancing the demands of a university with personal responsibilities and socializing
- Developing and cultivating professional contacts
Your mentor will:
- Help guide you in your transition to college by answering all your questions.
- Have similar interests, hobbies, and experiences as you.
- Meet or video chat with you on a regular basis.
- Guide you in discovering your career path.
- Encourage you to set goals.
Students are paired with someone invested in their success based on shared interests — a person ready to listen, inspire, help navigate challenges, and recognize opportunities. Students will learn what to expect in school, how to approach challenges, gain career advice, and valuable insights, while mentors will build their networks and develop skills to become better professionals and leaders. Mentor Collective's online platform provides training and resources for student mentors and makes it easy for mentors and mentees to connect.
Mentors and mentees are encouraged to communicate at least 2 - 4 times per month, although pairs can communicate more or less frequently depending on individual preferences. Pairs can communicate in person, via text, Zoom, Slack, and/or phone. (All participants are given anonymous phone numbers for communication).